Friday 14 April 2017

Arsenal were interested in signing me - Kelechi Iheanacho





- Kelechi Iheanacho rejected a move to Arsenal to sign for Manchester City

- Porto, Arsenal and Manchester City were all interested in the Nigerian

- Iheanacho joined City and rejected Arsenal based on the advise of his father

Super Eagles star Kelechi Iheanacho says Portuguese giants FC Porto and Arsenal were interested in his services before signing for Manchester City.

The 20-year-old striker joined City's Academy from Taye Academy on 10 January 2014 after shining at the 2013 U-17 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.


Iheanacho celebrates scoring the opener in the Manchester derby earlier in the season
Iheanacho says his preferred choice to join was Porto but his father convinced him to join Manuel Pellegrin

”After the tournament, a few European clubs were interested in signing me: Arsenal, Porto and some others," Iheanacho told Theplayerstribune.com.


The Nigerian signed for City when Manuel Pellegrini was at the club
"And also, of course, Manchester City. I did not know much about these clubs.

“I thought I would choose Porto, because I knew many African players had success with the club in the past."

Iheanacho says he did not think he would have a chance to feature for City due to the high number of quality players within their ranks.


The 20-year-old did not believe he would sign for City due to the number of quality players they have
"I didn’t really believe that I could play at City because they had so many incredible players," he said.

"But my father told me that I should choose City because he believed that I could achieve great things there,"he added.

"So I listened to my father."

Since making his debut in August 2015, Iheanacho has scored 21 goals in 58 appearances for the Citizens.


0 comments:

Post a Comment